Sunday, January 11, 2015

Blog Overview

Are you tired of adults telling you what you should be reading?  This blog is a place where sixth grade students can learn about books that other sixth graders are reading. Each week, I will be asking a female and male student from the sixth grade reading classes at River Springs Middle School to recommend a novel that they have recently read.  The students will provide a summary of the book and explain why they like this book.  My students will be using this blog as a tool to help them share and select books to read throughout the year.

I want to know what you, my middle school students, actually want to read and not what librarians or teachers tell me you should be reading, so I will be using this blog as a tool to help you and me find books that you will love.  However, I also want you to expand your reading interests and try new books and genres.  Each year, thousands of books are published for children and young adults. As sixth graders, you are in a unique position because you are sometimes too mature for children’s literature, but you may still be slightly uncomfortable with some of the content in young adult literature.  This will be a perfect place to help you find books that are “just right!”

Many of my students love to read.  Yay!  But many of you do not really like it all that much. However, I am quite determined that all of my students will develop a love of reading.  Part of developing a love of reading is finding books that you love to read.  Unfortunately, you may read some duds before you find a winner.  But a great book is always worth it!

I know you guys get tired of hearing me say this buuuuuttt:

If you want to score well on the FSA exam this year, then you have to be reading… A lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment