Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Reading Survey Results

This post will be a little different because I wanted to give you the results from the survey I asked you to take last Friday. We had some exciting results, and I am excited to share them with you!
This first chart shows that 53% of our sixth graders who were surveyed are reading more than 20 minutes a night. Yay for those 53%!! I can't wait to see your FSA scores. They will be through the roof! Now, let's discuss the other 47% of the students surveyed. 18% of the students surveyed are not reading outside of school. This is a concern. We have had many discussions where we have talked about reading being a practiced skill. 18% of the students surveyed are not practicing this skill. That is like a basketball player who doesn't practice dribbling or shooting. If you fall into this category, PLEASE start reading! That leaves 29% of the students surveyed who said they read, but they probably do not read quite 20 minutes each night. It is good that you are reading, but I would really like it if you would read just a little bit more each night.
This is my favorite chart from the study. This shows how much each FCAT level is reading. I would like to give a BIG, HUGE shout out to my FCAT 2 students from the single block intensive classes! Wow! Over 70% of you are reading more than the required 20 minutes each night. And notice: only 6% of the FCAT level 2 students are not reading outside of school. No wonder you guys are making such great progress on your DIA exams! Now to more serious matters. Level 5 students, less than 30% of you are reading the minimum amount of reading required by your reading teacher each night. Keep in mind, the test gets harder each year. If you are not continuing to practice reading, you may not be able to maintain that fabulous score. Now to my very precious level 3 and 4 reading students, you are doing very well, but I would really like to see more reading outside of the classroom.
Are you curious who is reading the most books outside of school? If you notice, most of the FCAT level 2 students have read 5-6 books since the beginning of the school year. Level 3 students have also had the majority of students read 5-6 books. GREAT JOB! I hope you have enjoyed each and every book you have read. Once again, the majority of level 5 FCAT students have not completed even one book this school year. EEEK! You guys are really missing out of some awesome books. Please see Mrs. Baker, and I will set you up with a fantastic book to read. I am also very proud of our level 1 students who have finished the most books on average. Great job level 1 students and Mr. B!

I am so very proud of each of you! You have all worked incredibly hard this year and it shows. Keep in mind the test does not make the student. You are all wonderful no matter what the test scores say. I want all of you to be the very best you can be and that will always be enough for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment