Sunday, May 17, 2015

Number the Stars/ Where the Red Fern Grows


Samantha would like to recommend Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Annemarie Johanson's family lives in Denmark during the time that it was occupied by Hitler and his German army. Her best friend, Ellen, is Jewish and faces great danger as the German forces work to relocated the Jewish families. With great courage, Annemarie and her family help Ellen's family evade the Nazi Army. Sami said, "I like this book because it's exciting, but mysterious. It really made me think about what it must have been like for Jewish families during this time period." This book can be located at Mrs. Baker's classroom library. 

This is one of my very most favorite books! If you have not read it, please do.- Mrs. Baker


Terance recommended Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Billy Colman lives in the Ozark Mountains where he and his two dogs spend their time hunting for raccoon. Billy trained these two hunting dogs well and they have a lot of success. Amid the success, tragedy strikes. This is a classic novel that students have been reading for many years. Terance said, "This was a heart warming book that has a lot of action and adventure. This is a good book for someone who has a dog who they truly love." This book can be located at the River Springs library or at the Deltona and Orange City Public Libraries.

Mrs. Baker's Blurb: Teacher of the Year Nominee
I wanted to share with you an honor I recently received. This year, I was nominated for Volusia County Reading Teacher of the Year. It is a tremendous honor for me. I am so thankful for the teachers who I work with everyday and blessed that my colleagues would recommend me for this award. I am also blessed with great students who making going to work everyday fun for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment